Old 08-11-16, 03:36 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Been there too. The worst was about 15 years ago after a car wreck when I was t-boned by a driver who ran a light. That followed a job loss and divorce, and deaths of two close family members. And the accident was followed by yet another death in the family, and permanent disability of another family member, and extreme stresses on family bonds.

It took years to begin to recover, emotionally and physically. I saw counselors for a couple of years and it helped. I explored more creative pursuits but was physically limited for a decade by the injuries. Just a few years ago I still needed a cane for long walks. I was finally able to do without the cane 2013.

I resumed bicycling a year ago this month, after a 30 break from having been an avid cyclist. It was slow going and hard, often painful work, getting back into shape. Rides longer than 20 miles kick my butt and require a couple of recovery days. I do it anyway.

And it's totally worth it.

Best thing I've done for my overall well being. I feel better overall, even on days I can't ride.

Do whatever it takes to help yourself. Be prepared for the roller coaster ride. Sometimes it will feel like one step forward and two steps backward -- not quite like the cliches promise. I find it helps to be involved in each moment of doing and being, and not in setting goals. But other folks seem to benefit from goals and written plans or dreams.