View Single Post
Old 08-11-16, 07:30 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Liz33 one out of five people will experience mental illness in their lives, so you are certainly not alone. I have worked in a psychiatric hospital for the last twenty years and I have heard a lot of stories and I have seen lots of people get better. Sometimes they have setbacks but at least they have experienced times when they weren't so sad. I am glad you have found cycling and if by chance you have a winter where you live try to find some other activity that can bring you the same joy that cycling does.

I come from a whatever it takes model to get better. It may mean medication, individual therapy, group therapy, family therapy, recreational therapy, art therapy, music therapy, religion or a combination of some or all. In most cases life will get better. I can't guarantee that but I know for those who do nothing, they typically don't improve. You are certainly moving in the right direction.

I have dedicated my life to mental health and I am in the process of getting my MSW (career change) to help those who have mental health issues. Your story is inspiring and I glad you took the time to share it with us here on BF. Keep going, you are doing well.
Likes For blakcloud: