Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
It isn't for some people. But ...

Somehow people survive artic climates. Cycling Can work in any environment which supports human life (people have ridden to the South Pole. Eagle Mountain man first to ride bike to South Pole | Eagle Mountain News | heraldextra.com
https://newatlas.com/south-pole-fat-trike/30245/)

That doesn't mean it works for everyone. For some the sacrifices are too great; for some, a bicycle cannot haul the loads required in the time allotted. For some the complications of transition from a form of physical exercise to other activities (people who need to dress well for work come to mind) outweigh the benefits. People with a lot of children or pets to haul often cannot use bikes.

So what? "Living car free" is not really a thing. Some people treat it like a holy state, and look down on those who occasionally get a ride from a friend ... and have complete disdain for people who actually own cars.

That's silly.

Riding a bike for transport is a choice, and the specific choice one makes bestows no moral inferiority or superiority. Evil people can live car-free. None of the world's greatest holy men even owned a bicycle.

If some days you say "It is too cold for me to want to ride" well ... good thing you have a car. If the next guy says, "I love riding when it is -7 F," well, lucky for him it is -7 F.

If you decide (and I have done this after my car-free days transitioned to car-lite) that even though it is 63 degrees, it is damp and windy and don't you don't feel like riding .... or if you think "It is a perfect day for riding ... but it is also a perfect day to drive my car," ... guess what? You are the same person either way.

I have discussed this in different places with different people ... car-free living is Often not practical, and for a lot of people even car-lite demands more than it delivers.

People who can live well without a car, or without using a car, are very lucky. Instead of looking down on others, they should look up and be grateful for their blessings.
I agree, but the point of this particular forum is living carfree. It's off-topic for people to post how it's impossible to live carfree. (It's similar to posting on the bike touring forum that it's impossible to ride a bike from California to New York.) Nothing to get bent out of shape over, but generally a waste of time for everybody, including the poster.

"Think Outside the Cage"