Old 07-09-21, 12:33 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
You might hate them, mschwett , but thats an expectation problem only you can overcome. Gravel tires are not road racing tires. There might be a perceptible increase in rolling resistance on pavement, but let's be honest with ourselves, you are out riding gravel, do you really think there isn't any inherent rolling resistance in the surface itself? Also, all this Sturm und Drang about rolling resistance is absurd...if you are racing on the road on 26s, the few watts you gain or lose could matter. But, on a gravel bike?

The right tires will make a huge difference. I'll echo Rolla , those tires are definitely not suitable for the described surface (and, frankly they are joyless on pavement too). Tread pattern is a consideration...the perfect tires for hard pack or grass are definitely not the perfect tires for mud, but the most important factor to consider is width. 35 is better than 32, and 38-40 would be much better. You can run them at much lower pressures (I run 38s at 32-35psi, and sometimes as low as 28psi....but I'm also running tubeless) to get the best grip for the conditions.

Get the right tires and go have a ball!
thanks. agreed on all counts and it sounds like it’s worth a try. to clarify, I wasn’t concerned about rolling resistance on gravel, but on a typical ride I’d be riding the same tires on 50 miles of roads before or after the 10 miles of gravel, and preferably not changing them out to do my “typical” entirely on-road rides.

the good news is, as you note, my expectations are probably low since everyone hates the ride of the gator hardshells! my main priority was no flats.
Likes For mschwett: