Old 07-09-21, 01:08 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Yes, huge difference. But I’ll say that 40mm tire on a gravel bike isn’t ideal for vertical work (Steep climbs, fast rocky descents). I can easily put a 50mm tire on my front fork, and I’ll do that if I’m going to be taking hits any where near 2”.

Originally Posted by mschwett
thanks. agreed on all counts and it sounds like it’s worth a try. to clarify, I wasn’t concerned about rolling resistance on gravel, but on a typical ride I’d be riding the same tires on 50 miles of roads before or after the 10 miles of gravel, and preferably not changing them out to do my “typical” entirely on-road rides.

the good news is, as you note, my expectations are probably low since everyone hates the ride of the gator hardshells! my main priority was no flats.
You are going to get a LOT less rolling resistance on tough terrain with 40mm gravel tires at 35-40psi (tubeless). I get fewer flats tubeless than with gatorskins (and its hard to put a hole in a gatorskin)

Originally Posted by mschwett
700x42 fit; i’m not sure i’d go that big unless it was a second set. i think the compromise for long fast road rides would be too much.

ideal scenario, 700x42 on these wheels with a granny gear on the cassette, get some lighter carbon wheels with some nice soft 700x28s and the original cassette, and be able to switch them easily without having to fiddle around with the chain and derailleur.
That is what I do, but with 32mm GP5000 tires. Way less than ½ the resistance of any Gatorskin – they are seriously fast. I can’t see any real advantage to going below 32mm. I’ve done it – just get more pinch flats / rim strikes.

If I only had one wheelset, for 50road/10gravel, I'd (ideally) use a 35mm slick, and maybe go a little slower for the 10 miles than I would with 40mm gravel tires.

A 25mm Gatorskin has 19.3 watts of rolling resistance.
A 38mm GravelKing Slick has 20.8 watts of rolling resistance.
A 38mm GravelKing SS has 23 watts of rolling resistance.
So, a pair of good tires have about 40 watts rolling resistance.

32mm GP5000 is about 15 watts. HUGE difference (especially if I’m riding in a pack where aero is minimized). Doesn't make any real difference on gravel, but its very noticeable on the road.