View Single Post
Old 03-30-22, 06:38 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by Trav1s
My 5'2" wife settled on a Trek Verve 3 after riding it and the Specialized Roll. She rode a S Roll but did not care for it. She tried the Verve in both XS and S - she and the shop agreed the S was a better fit for her. The proportions look a bit off with the 700C tires but the bike is easy to ride and for the first time in her life has a bike that actually fits. Plus, we picked up the previous year's model for a significant discount and supported the local Trek shop.

Now to figure out a saddle that fits better than the one that came on the bike...
Congratulations to your wife!

What's up with the saddle? Too wide, too narrow, too squishy? She may feel uncomfortable for awhile, until her body adjusts to riding. That said, the last new bike I bought I managed three rides before changing saddles (I had to resist the urge to burn that thing; uncomfortable at first sure, but that one caused pain). These days I use a Brooks B17 softened leather saddle, and love it. But, butts are different and she may need to try a few before finding the right one. I wish her luck and many happy rides.