View Single Post
Old 08-10-21, 08:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4445 Post(s)
Liked 4,102 Times in 2,738 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Amen. This is very sound advice. Although it sort of goes against some of what I said above, I have to agree there's a lot of wisdom here.
Thanks. Having been down that road many times I say just get what you want and worry about the money later.

Originally Posted by sebasbike
i checked and the sugino bb sealed cartridge is 111mm when i read that i should get a 109mm , wont this be difficult to get a good chain line or am i wrong?
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I ordered a new wheelset last week from Pro Wheel Builder with Paul hubs. They're on backorder for a few weeks. Am I going to have an chainline issue? This is the first I've heard about this. I'm running Wabi Pro (Andel Deluxe) cranks if it matters.
Chainline doesn't really matter. People over obsess about it. I really don't care or notice to measure. I have used the Park Tool Chainline device twice now because we did have an issue on an e-bike in a bad batch of frames but this was for a warranty and we noticed an issue and saw it was way way way way way off and that tool is probably not common anymore (I don't think Park sells it). A millimeter here or there won't do diddly squat unless maybe you have an overly slack chain and really cheap parts but probably not then. If I was racing professionally say at the Olympics then maybe I would care a bit more but only because I was trying to eek out every last gain I could because at the Olympics the UCI rules don't apply and it gets dumb. Japanese Keirin has it right everything is pretty standard and close to the same so no real huge advantages it is about the rider not so much the technology.

However I am not a professional and neither is anyone here so that couple millimeters to run a kick ass hub or sealed bearing BB or whatever f ing component you want to run is not a problem. I mean use your fingies and try to measure a millimeter or two, so tiny. There are people who drive H2 Hummers with wang dang doodlers that are longer.

Ride your bike, worry less, get good components and enjoy life.

Edit: Sealed bearings unless you are on the tarck all the time and take really good care of the bike. You won't notice a huge difference unless maybe going super ceramic or something but even then sealed is what I would do for a bike I am riding often in a non-race environ.
Likes For veganbikes: