View Single Post
Old 11-04-20, 08:14 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 108 Posts
Cycling influences your tastes in music?

Being a teen in the 80's, I loved good heavy metal. Stuff like Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. And then into the 90 with more metal, stuff like Soundgarden, Pantera. And then into the early 2000's with Slipknot, Disturbed and others.
While I rode a bit in my teens and twenty's, I really didn't start getting serious until my mid to late 30's. And I tried to listen to metal while riding. It just didn't seem to fit. It just..I dunno...not much of a motivator.

A few years ago, my daughters were into the anime/kpop scene. They offered to upload some of the more techno kpop stuff to my phone. I've always thought this stuff to be a bit cheesy. But being bored on a long ride and not wanting to listen to my metal tracks, I decided to pull up their playlist and...it wasn't that bad! Nice upbeat music, good steady beat, and it put me into a good mood. If anything, it was a good beat that seemed to fit much more nicely with cycling than guitars and screaming.
I do remember liking of the of the early EDM stuff, like Technotronic, Labouche, Snap!, etc. .These got uploaded to my playlists, and they fit nicely into my long rides too.
With the advent of streaming radio on smartphones, I've searched several stations. I've settled on one that always fits cycling, PulsRadio Dance.

Now, Ive read that as people age, their music tastes do too. And this might be the case. But for now, the upbeat EDM stuff seems to fit my cycling best, and that seems to be the genre I listen to most now, even on my drive to work.

TLDR:
Cycling made me find music more suited for this activity. and upbeat EDM type stuff has fit the bill to much that I now rarely listen to the stuff I did when I was younger.

Has cycling influenced anyone else's tastes in music as well?