View Single Post
Old 06-16-22, 08:44 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Got this loaner today that is brand new. I should take it home, give it to her, then buy the bike.

"Oh, by the way, honey, we have to give it back."

We never had loaners at Chevrolet until GM started a program I think around 2014. They would provide 10 or so cars to be used as low priced rentals or free loaners for warranty customers. After a certain mileage, I think around 2k, they were to be sold as demos and more cars would be put in their place.

Employees were allowed to use these cars in some cases but the purpose was to get customers in them as a promotion. Because our dealer had apathetic management and no good system to keep track of things abuses were inevitable. One of the office women who had a long commute took one of the cars and put like 3500 miles on it by the time they figured out who had it. Another car was taken by a service advisor and he had a fender bender with it and generally beat it up.

Employees brought them back filthy and many times we had to get rental cars for customers from outside because employees were driving the loaners.

They stopped the program after a while and I don't think it came back. Employees screw things up for others and management does nothing until it's too late.

They used to let employees borrow used car trade-ins until one of the advisors got a DUI in one and the cops impounded the car and management didn't find out until the towing and storage was as much as the car was worth. That was the end of that perk.