View Single Post
Old 05-07-17, 08:38 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Is this for sure vulcanizing and not just cement? I can't tell from the product page or googling, although AutoZone does list it under "Vulcanizing Cement". 8 oz can of Rema Vulcanizing costs more than twice, which makes me hesitant to trust that it's not just cement.
It's hard to tell but from what I can tease out of the SDS on the Slime rubber cement and the Rema vulcanizing fluid, I would say that the Slime is just rubber cement. It's SDS says that it contains a number of hydrocarbons as solvents and under heading "Possibility of hazardous reactions", it only lists flammability hazards.

The Rema fluid, on the other hand, say the following about the hazardous reactions

Stability and Reactivity Data =================

Stability Indicator/Materials to Avoid:YES
STRONG ALKALIES, OXIDIZERS.
Stability Condition to Avoid:EXTREME HEAT, OPEN FLAME, WELDING ARCS
Hazardous Decomposition Products:BURNING: HYDROGEN CHLORIDE/TRACES OF PHOSGENE.
The hydrogen chloride and phosgene are decomposition products of the trichloroethylene (TCE) used as a solvent...the Slime cement doesn't have any of that. But the note to avoid strong alkalies and oxidizers are due to the presence of an accelerator in the fluid. Oxidizers and alkalies shouldn't have any effect on TCE.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!