View Single Post
Old 07-18-18, 08:37 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@davester, I've heard of the Death Ride. Maybe I'll try that one day, too. I managed to finish the Hillier Than Thou ride in NJ, and I'm considering doing the Dirty Dozen in PA this year.
It's a fantastically beautiful ride and I highly recommend it. Definitely a skinny person carbon bike ride. I only saw a couple of vintage bikes other than mine.

I trained harder for this ride than for anything I've ever done. Starting in January, we gradually built up our distances, riding every non-rainy weekend combined with frequent weekday bike commutes where I'd often take the long hilly way home. The last two months I rode repeats on the big mountains around the SF bay area (Diablo, Hamilton, Tamalpais) which each that about 3,500' climbs to get to the top. Two weeks before the big day we did a triple Diablo. We also started the Deathride at 3:30 am. Another key to finishing is constant eating and drinking while on the bike to stave off bonking.