View Single Post
Old 11-27-22, 12:38 PM
denis_987

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Denis, and Pratt, in rural Mexico on smaller roads, the vast majority of truck drivers are very courteous and careful around bicycles, much more so than here in Quebec.
Especially in rural areas, they are used to slow moving trucks, pickups, horses, people on foot etc.
The toll highways have more traffic, but generally have quite a wide shoulder, and so are pretty good to ride on, although noisey. Trucks do often straddle the wide shoulder to give more room for cars and other trucks to pass, so one must be careful.

I highly highly recommend using a good mirror while touring, this is indispensable.

Your route map idea shows you starting in a city on the east coast, but are you thinking of crossing the border at Texas and riding down through North East Mexico? I have a friend how lived in NE Mexico and described to me how bad it was for illegal activity. I also know a Mexican who actively discouraged me from riding in the north.

I always ride with a mirror and a Garmin Radar. I have read the warning for Mexico from the Canadian gorvernment. Tamaulipas and Nuevo León are some of the many many (14 of 32) states to "avoid non-essential.travel" . When I cross check the states with the map and my route, I can see that except for Tamaulipas, all others states that I will cross are not on the list. I will be 4 to 5 days in Tamaulipas, so I will stick to national roads and ride only during day and will stay in hotels for those nights.

Last edited by denis_987; 11-27-22 at 12:47 PM.