View Single Post
Old 07-19-21, 01:02 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
MUPs are great .... I guess.

Thing is, for a bicycle to be a valid mode of transportation, and not a bit of sporting gear/a toy, people have to be able to get to places by bike---including to those MUPs. And once on the MUPs, of course, cyclists have to cope with people walking multiple dogs on 12-foot leashes or rollerblading with earbuds on full volume ... but that is not infrastructure.

If MUPs actually link business districts or stores, and exit onto roads that are safe for riding ... well, great. The thing is shopping districts are notoriously dangerous for cyclists because of all the driveways, entries, and exits, and people trying to maneuver across roads to get tot eh driveway they want, pretty much ignoring everything except getting to the next mall or strip mall or store.

Greater Orlando, when they finally started including bike lanes, was notorious for putting the lanes the the right of "Right Turn Only" lanes, so cyclists had to cross traffic that expected to have clear road to the right---because there was no "road," just a bike line which everyone ignored and treated as a breakdown lane---or a way to cheat to get into the turn lane a little earlier.

People would cut across multiple lanes of traffic at high speed to get to a driveway, totally ignoring the cyclist who was forced to go straight across a "turn only" lane .... and the "bike lanes" usually tapered down and turned along with the turn lane, ending up in the curb, so the cyclist would have to come to a stop, and be stuck partially blocking the driveway while cars tried to squeeze in and out. Brilliant.

I could take an MUP into the main mall district, okay ... but once I got there, I had to take my life in my hands to go anywhere except for one mall. Anyone who had a job at any o those stores, or at any of the office parks interspersed between strip malls and stores, would have been safer wearing black clothes and a blindfold, sprinting randomly across the road at night, than to try to ride according the the way the bike lanes were laid out. Of course, a lot of the city simply had no lanes, so no bike problem, right?

Where I live now has a decent MUP which doesn't get a lot of traffic during much of the day, and which actually crosses from downtown to to other towns --- but I have to negotiate several miles of "always under construction" roadway to get there. it is safer to use smaller surface streets and to avoid the fast route---but that adds miles, and if I need to get a few things done in one day neither the MUP nor the surface roads (the ones not being constantly "improved") and good alternatives.

Still a lot better---by a factor of a thousand---that Orlando back in the day, but utility riding is not going to catch on until all the construction is done---after which time, from the looks of things, there will be decent bike lanes through most of the town's major business districts, so props for that---should that day come. I figure by the time the project is done, the first parts of it will be ready to be re-done.
Likes For Maelochs: