making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Indeed - most people don't understand how cycling in traffic works, at least not without pausing to really think it through.

And many people whomown bikes don't ride them on the road enough to understand how to do so safely. One could almost observe that the more non-road options there are, the more road-ignorant bike owners one is going to find.

Except that unfortunately, a lot of current "bike advocacy" is actually pushing the message that roads are not for bikes.

Providing alternatives to road routings can be great, especially when they can go real distance with o interaction, and if they're maintained to be usable. But what tends to get lost is that any time a cyclist on a non-road path interacts with crossing or turning traffic, they do so from a drastically disadvantaged position than they'd be in if they were already on a good road.

We decide drivers can't safely maneuver around obvious, visible cyclists - but then tell ourselves those very same drivers who can't be trusted with what is right in front of the of them, are going to rember to look in an illogical direction to make sure they aren't about to be overtaken by cyclists shooting out of a hidden channel at quite possibly faster than current traffic speed.
I really hate riding in the city on a dedicated bike lane even if safely separate most of the time. The problem is turns and crossing side streets. I would rather ride in traffic making turns and holding my lane predictably like a car than transition from a safe area to the street and back over and over.