View Single Post
Old 07-31-22, 09:11 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
Cloudy again here but it seems to be clearing. Yesterday it was overcast and cool until the ride was finished, then came the heat. I went to the club and there were 3 rides heading the same direction. The fastest group was doing 100+ so they set a fast pace and those of us doing a paltry 50 felt obligated to hang on. For some reason they kept waiting for the slower riders, even when one had a flat.

This led to dissention and some of the slower riders turned back, which was weird because they could have just cruised to the break.
Some newbies came and stayed the course including a guy who was toast when we stopped for snacks. We lost him on the return even though we waited and waited and waited every few miles. He might still be out there somewhere.

Rode with an old friend who appeared on the road and stayed with us for a while. Haven't seen him in years. He was a cat 2 and quite strong, saw him win in a field of 100 riders once. Turns out he had a heart attack last year. Anyway he looks great now and is sporting a stent in the blood system.

Another guy came back for his first group ride since a bad leg fracture last year with surgery, etc. He's been Zwifting and riding around his house and he did fine. He used to drop me easily on climbs and was quite the French shower about it. I think the whole experience humbled him a bit and he was friendly to me and even said "nice riding with you" when we split up at the end.