View Single Post
Old 09-26-21, 07:11 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18441 Post(s)
Liked 15,619 Times in 7,352 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Here in Canada, a restaurant supper will be at least $20, a small local motel is probably in the 70-100 range, and heck even a campground could cost 40 bucks at the high end if unlucky.
So stuff does add up easily.

generally when biker traveling, I use cash for small places and ask if its ok to use credit card and when so, do, saving the cash i have for the small places and small purchases.
That’s in line with prices here in the northeast. My motel stays were $89-$100 plus tax. My one restaurant dinner with two glasses of wine was well over $30 with a tip. Used the card. Camping has gotten ridiculously expensive at some places. One KOA along my route wanted $82 for a tent site.

One night I stayed at a state park in NY. The entrance is along a trail. The old train station has been converted into a store/cafe. Picked up a Sunday NYT and some local craft beers for a little over $20, in part to save the small, independent business the swipe fee.

In general, I try to mimic my cash/card usage when at home. For example, when I’m working and go out for a sandwich and paper for lunch I pay cash rather than use a card.