View Single Post
Old 07-03-22, 02:13 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
The bollards to keep cars out of pathways make sense to me in a world where all road rules now seem 'flexible.' And the pandemic has really obliterated already distracted attention spans. People just don't pay attention. The bollards on our local pathway are wood with a reflector, not very good for bikes. Other paths have bollards but in grey, not bright yellow as they should be. Even that does not always help. Last month I hit a speed bump, bright yellow, and expected to go over it. I was at just enough of an angle that it deflected the front wheel and down I went. No broken bones but a nice should sprain and contusions everywhere. Ego was horribly abused as well.

There is no perfect answer for safety, even if everyone is alert. Since I am rather ancient, I remember PSA's from the late 60's and early 70's. "Don't be dead right" was the theme, meaning look and listen on a bike or as a pedestrian. Having the legal right of way means nothing to a distracted driver or brainless bollard