View Single Post
Old 08-17-22, 05:56 PM
Vern1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When should tires be replaced?

I have read a number of articles saying that tires should be replaced either 1. you start to get a lot of flats or 2. after 2-3000 miles

I have a Canyon Pathlite with Maxxis Rambler 700x40 tires running tubeless (1st tubeless tires and really like them). Over the last 3 seasons I have put about 4000 miles on it, 70% paved bike path, 30% trail/gravel/chunky rocks etc. Had 1 flat when the sidewall burped (if thats the right expression) after hitting a few big rocks on a particularly knarly trail in Costa Rica last winter - fun walk home

Am planning to take my bike to Mexico this winter (am based in Toronto) and expect there will be a combo of road and trail but will prefer mostly trail riding.

My tires look ok but should they be replaced at this point due to mileage? On my cars tires there are wear bars but no such thing on bike tires I guess. Since I will be in Mexico for a few months I would prefer to change them before I go if needed

Also any suggestions on other tires? I like to go fast but want puncture resistance and decent traction for the trails (which in Mexico will be 100% dry and I dont do much wet riding here unless Im caught in it)

Besides the Maxxis have seen recos for
Schwalbe G-one Allround
Schwalbe Marathon Almotion
Continental Speedride

Many thanks!!