GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I'm confused by that reply.
We may be talking about the same thing. My original question was to make sure I understood that if I move the saddle forward that the height of the seat post would go down. It wouldn't actually go down, but would effectively go down because I was closer to the handle bar. In other words, it would subjectively appear/feel to have gone down.

Therefore, to keep everything in relative proportion, I would actually have to raise the height of the seat post by some length. Once I had the relative positions and movements understood, I then raised my saddle by 10mm, which was too much. So I then lowered it by 5mm mid-ride (so that it was only up 5mm from the beginning of the ride). That amount was much better. Leg/calf muscles up and down felt well balanced. None more or less sore than the others. When only the saddle was forward by 15mm, my lower quads, right above my knees were abnormally stressed.

Your suggestion of making changes by a mm or 2 might actually be a better way to do it. I didn't know if I could feel the difference of a 1mm to 2mm change, but I could sure feel the difference in a 5mm change up to the seat post. Seems like we're both making initial adjustments somewhat related to actual, measured geometry and then fine tuning things by feel.

Thanks for your comments.

Glenn