Old 09-21-22, 10:05 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I've been doing a particular event ride in the Cascades since 2000, not every year, but many times. Lately, I've been riding it every year, just to see how it goes, i.e. how old am I really? The calendar says 77. This year I was the 7th oldest out of 800. The oldest rider is usually about 80, sometimes a few years older, and sometimes that oldest rider doesn't finish. The ride is well over 100 miles and has about 9000' of climbing, so it's an all-day thing. I've found that since I was 70. every year is different and needs a slightly different approach. For next year, I'm going to focus more on strength work.

I've found the most successful on-bike training to be 4 hour hilly rides, done as hard as possible, working up to that distance/time by May for a ride at the end of July. Not too many hills in Florida, but one can simulate that on the flat, going hard for say 10' every half hour. Not the same as a hill though, because one would have to force the pace. But strength work is good for everyone, hills or no hills. Sarcopenia is a real thing.

Good for you and keep at it!