View Single Post
Old 10-06-22, 08:48 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I have never done a trip where I could rely on lean-tos every night (except for a few overnight or two night hikes). It must ne nice to just leave the fly home. I have taken another approach in lean-tos and under other shelters and used a hoopless bug bivy. That worked pretty well too and only weighs a few ounces. It is essentially just an envelope made of thin fabric on the bottom and netting on the top.
Out of hundreds of nights camping, I can think of only a handful where I didn’t use the rain fly and of that handful, I can think of only one night where I actually didn’t have to get up in the middle of the night to put on the fly. I’ve just given up on the whole idea of pitching a tent without the fly on. One memorable night on the inlet to Ruedi Reservoir, I went to bed when it was about 80°F and woke up at about 3 a.m. freezing. There was literally frost forming.

I hate putting a rain fly on in the middle of the night!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: