Old 09-23-21, 10:24 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Apart from some dual pivot calipers, which are now on their way, I essentially have everything to build the bike up. It's down to a crankset choice, picking up some black bar tape, and choosing a cable housing color (I am trying to avoid black). My current frontrunner is Jagwire's Carbon Silver, which is a "warm grey" (aka has brown in it) that I think would pair well with the taupe and dark brown colors. White, silver, primer grey, yellow, or gold are too shouty and inappropriate. Greens and blues are also out. A strictly dark grey option I can't find. Keep in mind I am looking for brake and shift cable housing. Porkchop BMX has a bunch of cool colors, but none really work aside from Clear Black, which is cool, but a tad intense for this 720's color palate--to say nothing of it being brake cable housing only and not shift cable housing (since I will be running an indexed shifting system here).

It could also be a bit too much brown, so I'll be mulling it over and test fitting some spare black housing to see how it actually looks.

For some data points and a bit of humor for all of you, I mounted my 620's wheels and (nominal) 700x42c tires (39.5mm wide, 36.0mm tall) to see if they fit, and if so, what my clearance was. No Riddle build thread is without some inflection of heresy.

For the record, this looks super dumb, mostly because the colors and aesthetics of the frameset and the wheels do not match whatsoever. But they fit!

Yeah, that's about 4mm, a gap the impressive 620 manages to essentially triple with these wheels and tires installed. Remind me why this bike is my fender bike???

Clearance, Clarence. Snug, but comfortable. Getting a chuckle out of the "puffy shoulders" fork crown. The ride quality is no laughing matter, so back to being serious about the frame's features...

Low Bridge Ahead is also present in the rear.

Again, comfortably snug in the chain stays. Mounting is pretty easy--no real squishing the proverbial cheeks (of the tires) to get an inflated tire around the long dropouts. The 126mm rear spacing doesn't mind the rounded-nut 130mm Dura-Ace 7403 rear hub. I could pick up (again) a pair of 38mm Somas, like I had before (and sold), but I want to save some expenditure and run what I have until I decide to go the 650B route, or not. I'd like to find some chrome fenders locally, but my initial search has yielded nothing so far. Will just have to turn this into a weekly thing and just run my matte black PDW fenders for now.