View Single Post
Old 07-21-22, 12:42 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
It is an interesting turn, that in the past, pale skin and a voluptuous figure in women was a sign of wealth, because 1) you didn't have to work outside and 2) you had enough food to overeat, but now it's the opposite - you have enough time and money to exercise outside and to eat healthy. Largely (haha) because calories are cheap now, especially in the most tempting forms - think McDonalds, Doritos and Entenmann's.

EDIT: I realize that many don't find those tempting, but really, they're calibrated to hit the areas where I don't think we evolved a "That's Too Much" sensor - fat, starch, sugar, the things our distant ancestors could never get enough of.
Several years ago I went on a relatively difficult ride out of Valley Forge park. I was famished when I got done. The closest thing I could find without going that far out of my way was a Taco Bell. I almost never eat "corporate" fast food, but I was desperate. I got two of a new item that was on the menu. Some type of burrito or something similar. Started eating and thought that the food tasted like it was designed specifically to do the above. I can see how many people develop a strong craving for that type of stuff.