Old 09-04-17, 10:13 AM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think liking the narrowness of the bars has a lot to do with your upper body build. I always rode the widest bars you could find on the road as I have a really wide chest and shoulders. My chest is 52"s and if you asked me to make a fist and hold my hands straight out in front of me, it is 42-43cm between my fist. Therefore with 42cm bars it was a straight shot from my shoulders to my hands and it felt right. First time I held 38cm bars, I had to pull my hands in and it felt funny, but I got used to them after awhile and just switched my road bike over to 38's as well as my track bike. I have tried 35's before and they are just too narrow for me and I really have to pull my hands in which does start to feel like it's pinching my breathing. Even with the 38's, they still feel a bit narrow when getting out of the saddle to climb the bridges or hills. If I weighed 150 lbs and had a 42" or smaller chest, I think the 35 would feel great, but there is a point where going too narrow becomes counter productive. What works best for you is not always what works best for others....even if it may look that way on paper. Best way to know is to get out and ride with the various width bars and see what feels right.