View Single Post
Old 11-02-17, 02:44 PM
rickbuddy_72

Location: Michigan, on the lake, 60 miles WNW of Chicago as the crow flies, or 90 miles if the crow walks.

Bikes: Dolan DF4, BH Ultralight, 1974 Schwinn Paramount Track, Trek Alpha 1000, Trek 730, Miyata 930 affixed to a Brian Wind Trainer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
I like to think there are stages:

Stage 1: Eliminate the crap that you consume daily (sodas, cigarettes, candy bars.) The obvious things. Remove them from your home.
Stage 2: Learn about macronutrients and energy systems. Read labels before you buy products.
Stage 3: Make better A/B choices. When given a choice between A or B for a meal/snack or shopping, chose the better option. Keep doing that for almost every meal, and you will make gains.
Stage 4: We are all different. Identify your particular dietary needs. First eliminate deficiencies.
All this, and if you're eating a well-balanced diet you should not really worry about missing nutrients.

The ex has Ph.D. and post-doc in molecular biology, was the head cook at a hippie commune where she prepared vegan, vegetarian and omnivorous meals. She still sometimes lectures on nutrition. She created the foundation for my training diet.

No more than 50% of your protein should come from animal sources. People with high-protein diets have as high a cancer rate as smokers, although many suspect that is caused by heavy reliance on animal proteins, Learn to complement plant proteins. Your body can only process about 30 grams of protein per meal. Go heavy on complex carbs.

After racing I went off diet and onto the lazy American diet. I got fat and developed prostate cancer. I've had the prostate removed surgically, salvage radiation to treat a relapse, and last fall found the cancer had returned. My PSA levels went from undetectable, <0.60 ng/ml, to double that in six months. When I decided to resume racing to keep my mind off the disease I also returned to the diet the ex prepared for me. The first three months my PSA actually dropped, I got lazy and saw a small increase, then returned to the diet and the numbers once again stabilized.

Trying to figure out what happened I found out about the MEAL Study diet. It's a great all-around diet, works for my training, and it could help keep you from getting cancer.

At the end of December last year I was 63 years old, 5'9", weighed 210 lbs. and could not push 80 watts for 20 minutes. Today I weigh 160 pounds, my FTP increased to 220 watts, I can push over 1,000 watts for 6 seconds, and can do 320 pounds with one leg on the 45º vertical squat machine. All that in 10 months.

Here are some links to the diet plan. You can get strong with it and it just may keep you from getting cancer.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/cance...rostate-cancer

https://www.harvardprostateknowledge...d-of-treatment

Rick