View Single Post
Old 08-07-22, 10:05 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Brake bleeding advice please

I am fairly new to hydraulic disc brakes, but have done all my own mechanical work on my bikes for 15 years. I have two bikes with hydraulic disc brakes, a gravel bike 3 years old with about 1,500 miles total, and a 2 year old ebike conversion with 1,200 miles on it.

The Shimano 400 series brakes on the gravel bike, and the Tektro ? Model brakes on the ebike have worked well. I've replaced pads on Shimano, not yet on Tektro.

My question is, should I worry about changing out brake fluid if the brakes are performing normally, or wait until I feel softness in levers or have to pump them? Having never changed bike brake fluid, I'm leery of getting into it unnecessarily, though resigned to the fact I'll need to do it some day.

The Shimano manual on my brakes outlines a bizaar procedure involving 20+ steps, including multiple repositioning of the bicycle. Is there a simpler approach that applies to all brakes? I did brake work on cars when I was younger, and the bleed procedure was simple if you had one person to pump the pedal, another to open and close the bleed valve at caliper. Can you do similar on a bike?

My bike work stand is not a pro caliber like Park; I can likely position bike at an angle to put hoods straight up, but doubt I could change angles repeatedly as per instructions without undue time and frustration. Anyone with a simple, practical procedure they'd care to share?

Thanks in advance. I don't get on the forum often enough to chat, but will certainly check back in a couple days to see any replies.