Old 08-08-22, 01:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Well all my motor vehicles use DOT brake fluid of some flavor. Use to be mostly DOT 3. Nasty stuff and AFAIK, very hygroscopic. It loved moisture. However in my vehicles, it never was a problem. Perhaps if I bled them annually to change the fluid I might have save myself the replacement of a set of calipers. But one set of calipers in 50 years and a dozen vehicles it seems like I will have paid more money on fluid changes than I did for just changing out the brake calipers after they stuck.

Do you get your brakes bled regularly on your motor vehicles? There's more to go wrong on them with their steel brake lines that do rust on the inside from moisture than the plastic hoses on my bike.

Just keep your wiper seals clean and un-crudded on the piston and you'll keep out a lot of any imagined dirt getting in the system.

I'm not going to fault you if you wish to change your fluid often. However don't tell me that it's necessary. While it might be preventive maintenance, what are you really preventing?

Last edited by Iride01; 08-08-22 at 01:44 PM.