View Single Post
Old 07-23-21, 10:25 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Interesting how you converted the stem on your fat bike, and I didn't know it was possible (probably not with some/most systems). That eliminates my major problem with these bikes since I dislike the "rickety" feeling of the steering. I have an older Dahon (circa 1984, it was procured recently for a very reasonable price) and need to tighten the steering every couple of rides. Going to check to see if this modification is possible.
I think most of the steerers can be changed. The quills om threadless systems can be changed to threaded with quill adapters. Then you attach your stem extension to this or your standard threadless system. Put your BMX handlebars into that. I don't know how Dahon does it though.

Some of your (my) folding steerers are flimsy. I replaced one on my wife's folder that seemed to wobble. It was hard to find something that was stronger. I eventually bought one from Downtube for 3X the price of what I could find on aliexpress. Worth it and more to avoid a face plant.

One major seller of folding 20" fat tire ebikes had five cases of steerers snapping off last year. They broke in the quill below the hinge. I followed three cases in their 10,300 member facebook user group for that model (don't own it). One member posted pics. Contusions and bruises. Rough off road use is not good with any folding alloy steerer tube. Best to swap if you ride like that.

Likes For Doc_Wui: