View Single Post
Old 01-24-08, 01:45 AM
monkeyography

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice and concerns regarding frame and rim integrity. This spring I'm hoping to take a repair course and get involved with a bike co-op. I'll make sure nothing's in bad shape and get lots of second opinions before heading out.

Plan get a triple on there, as mentioned; also want to completely rebuild the handlebar area: higher stem, wider bars (current ones much more narrow than my shoulders) more comfortable brake hoods.

Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
I can imagine two reasons to buy a vintage bike and tour on it. One is that you have aesthetic or nostalgic reasons - you just like old bikes, or maybe you had a bike just like it 20 years ago that you absolutely loved. If that's your situation, hopefully you have the money to restore it and take care of the mechanical issues that might arise.
I didn't aim to buy such a vintage bike, but that's what Craigslist sent my way. Didn't discriminate against vintage because:

1) Cheap.
- I'm just graduating and a good bit in debt
- It's my first road bike so I'll learn what aspects I do and don't like on this $100 bike before I drop a grand
- Less likely to be stolen, less heartbreak if it is. I commute on this and leave it locked up alone for hours at a time.

2) Touring tech has just not changed much in the past 30 years.

When I started toying with the touring idea, I read up and found that steel frames are still best and folks still prefer friction shifting. Why get this year's model if the only real difference (wear & tear notwithstanding) between an '08 Trek 520 and a '78 Trek 520 are some braze-ons. Not trying to be cocky, please correct me where I'm wrong here.

3) Pretty

Definitely not nostalgia, this bike is five years my senior , few adults rode bikes where I grew up, and the kids all rode crappy ones.

Not afraid to drop some money here and there. I won't be making much from now till the tour's over, but I'll be jumping into a well-paying career right afterwards.

Also, a bike that needs parts and tweaks and isn't worth enough to fret over while I fumble around on it is great for me since I'll be the tech guy on our trip and need something to learn with, and I really like fixing stuff besides.

blah blah blah

Last edited by monkeyography; 02-28-08 at 11:43 PM. Reason: I was ranting