View Single Post
Old 04-15-15, 09:12 AM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks I was in a racing line, but due to their braking into the corner, I tried not to touch my brakes (since this was my first bunch race, and everything I had read said *don't* touch your brakes in the final corner), so that took me out of that racing line and between the outer and middle lines slightly. That was clearly my mistake and I put myself in a risky situation (there's no denying that). What I'm learning here is that I could have saved myself by braking and getting back into the main line. The crash didn't actually happen in the corner: it happened right after the corner. I made it through the corner just fine (like I said: I'm fine with counter-steering and taking corners at speed).

But being in the risky spot that I was in, and that the guy to my left went wide and fell back a bit, he left a hole and I went for that hole as people were on the finishing straight gearing up for the sprint. But he hammered forward, didn't even look to his right, and took me out. So it wasn't a natural part of the turn per se (or maybe it was, what do I know?) when I went down. So it was an outside-in crash, not the usual inside-out crash.

But yeah: moral of the story: I need to get better at positioning myself in a major pace line for the final corner, staying in that line, and being willing to use my brakes to do so.

<3