Old 12-03-15, 05:35 PM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
i'm in the same boat as you...cat 1 MTB = higher surcharge for me. i might downgrade as there really are few USAC-run MTB events, and if I do one it is easy enough to bump it back up. however, i actually am happy to support increased anti-doping efforts. i'm assuming (big assumption) that they will work. i'm giving the benefit of the doubt.

the reason i responded to your post, though, is that i don't think the fact that you're a cat 1 (road, mtb or whatever) is going to increase YOUR odds of getting tested; it seems just that they are making the higher category riders bear the brunt of the cost.

now, presumably higher category riders may race more and race higher profile events, so that could increase the odds of testing, but they have not said that will be the case.
I just got my Pro MTB license; I attempted to imply that but wasn't clear. I anticipate being mid pack, pack fodder, contributing to the prize list and nothing more.

I know a few guys in the same situation that HAVE been tested at larger events despite mid pack finishes (that they were ecstatic about).

I realize dopers can finish in the middle third of a "pro" mountain bike race, but, to me, that seems like wasted time and money. If you're going to test, test the top 3 and move on. I don't think someone is going to dope and then intentionally finish 4th for the rest of their life.

I can't even comprehend missing a piss test after a mid-pack finish in a "pro" mountain bike race, let alone getting suspended for it. A friend of mine has offered to fly me out for the Sea Otter XC race, which is about as big as it gets in the US short of the odd WC race at Windham. If they tested ME there, that would be a great microcosm of USAC's problems.

I say "pro" because the barrier to entry to that level in MTB is quite low, BTW.

Last edited by Duke of Kent; 12-03-15 at 05:43 PM.