Old 02-04-21, 04:54 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Component availability seems to be what's holding up new bike production. I was building my new bike this winter, and wanted to equip it with a mechanical Ultegra groupset. Nope, not available. Tried to find everything individually. Nope, the front derailleurs are backordered, with no idea when they will come in. I was very lucky to find an Ultegra crankset with the correct size arms at one shop, a set of brake calipers (rim brake for me) at another, and an Ultegra Di2 'upgrade' group, with levers, derailleurs, and wiring online, shipped from England. The bike ended up costing more than I had wanted to spend, but I have to admit, I'm sort of glad things worked out this way.
LBS has zero new bikes to sell. He's only open 3 days a week for repairs. Luckily, he was able to get a contract with the city to maintain/repair all the rental e-bikes used at the city bike path to keep himself in business.
I had an old, heavy, steel bike (8 speed Claris) that I had been using on a trainer with Zwift. I put it up for sale on Craigslist, it was sold within 15 minutes of placing the ad. It's crazy out there.
there is a metal and lumber shortage. I hear prices for raw matierials are going to double