aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I like how in the year of our lord two thousand and twenty one there are still people whose first go-to insult for anyone in Lycra is "LANCE!!!!111!!!" even though he hasn't been relevant in over a decade.

It reminds me of the 2015 Kansas City Royals -- at the beginning of the season they got in a lot of bench clearing shouting matches brawls over hit-by-pitches and because they play in Kauffman Stadium a lot of people started making jokes about "Straight Outta Kauffman" as a riff on the single by N.W.A., Straight Outta Compton.

A local boomer TV sports guy made some dumb joke on twitter about how he had to get the younger employees to explain the joke to him.

"Straight Outta Compton" was released in 1988 and at the time this all happened was 27 years old. Those danged kids who had to explain the joke to him were probably not even in elementary school when the single was released.

In conclusion, please update your references.
I've been called Lance a number of times, usually from big truck driving dudes, I think it's kind of funny. I've heard people say along the lines of "drive like Mario Andretti" lol, I mean when was he relevant? 80's? I still play pickup basketball from time to time (not for the last year) and I still get called Jeff Hornacek or Larry Bird. Got called Stockton a lot when I was living in SoCal...

People driving 3,000lb death missiles jeering at cyclists probably aren't following the latest signings in the pro peloton. Hell, I can't pronounce Tadej Pogacar...you want Steve the General Contractor driving the supped up Hemi bellowing out that name to you on your ride? So, Lance it is...
Likes For aplcr0331: