Old 05-25-21, 08:54 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
Once you go Rohloff you will never go back. This is one long ass thread. I have had my Rohloff for over 7 years. I do not miss derailleurs or chains. It is easy enough to remove the wheel and repair a flat and that has happened exactly once so far. It was more costly than the derailleur version. Around $1000.00 more. The derailleur model weighs 17oz less than the Rohloff version. The Rohloff is a 7 speed with a reduction set to have 14 gears. I read an article where Thorn was interviewing Rohloff. They stated that it is possible under certain conditions for the hub to jump from gear 7 to gear 14. The next day it did just that and only that one time. I haven't been able to repeat that situation. At first the lower 7 gears were quite noisy. Not so much now. The oil in the hub can weep out some over time leaving an oil mist on either side that I wipe off. This seems to happen mostly after an oil change. Rohloff states that it is impossible for enough oil to leak out that the internals would be damaged. Rohloff wont guarantee their hub with a belt drive unless you use a snubber. So I'm guessing the force of a snapping belt could scramble the gears. My Co-Motion came with their version of the Rohloff grip shifter fit to drop bars. I have changed handlebars several times and my new bars from Velo Orange are the crazy bar. And being a lefty I ordered the optional Rohloff left handed shifter. Changing the shift cables is different enough that I have to say I am thankful for YouTube. There are some variations in how you wire the Rohloff shifter in different versions of aftermarket products. CyclingAbout has allot of experience using the Rohloff hub and articles explaining the pros and cons.
Likes For Rick: