Old 06-11-21, 08:30 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
I suspect/fear that it will be an REI type experience for service, if not REI itself.
Why is that a bad thing? The primary REI mechanics at the one I frequent are trained and experienced. Yes, a less experienced associate may help out with a flat tire repair or a minor task, but the more technical work is done by accomplished men and women. I've never had a repair problem with bikes bought at REI or else where.

In the (mid size) city in which I live the 'local' REI has access to Cannondale bikes that the local Cannondale distributor cannot get. That's not a good thing.
It may not be good, but it's just business. If you're a manufacturer, would you rather sell 300 bikes to a large retailer or 5,10 or 20 bikes to a local single shop?

I don't think the bike manufacturers are concerned with the service end of the business.
Of course they are. Those cyclists that neglect their bikes will blame the brand and not themselves for repair service problems and will possibly go to a different brand when N+1 occurs. Even those that take good care of their bikes may be affected by poor repair service when buying their next bike. Years ago, the owner of a local shop that sold Specialized, Cannondale (primarily) and another brand or two told me that Specialized and Cannondale would send reps occasionally to verify the quality of the work and parts inventory to assure quality sales and repair service for their brand. Whether this practice stopped or not (pandemic aside), I don't know.

Eliminating family owned and single proprietor shops in favor of corporate stores serves the large bike corporation very well.
Someone should research this. Bike manufacturers just want to sell bikes, I can't believe that they conspire to put 'little guys' out of business. You certainly have the right to your opinion, but I suspect that you just don't like big corporations.

Please delete this. I wrongfully incorporated my response in the quote except for the last response. My fault of course...very long day.

Last edited by MAK; 06-11-21 at 08:42 PM.