rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,596 Times in 2,904 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
My experience with cheap bike shorts is that they work out so rarely that in the end they don't save me any money, and waste a lot of my time

I cannot count how many times I have succumbed to the recommendation of people on this or other bike sites about some awesome $25 bike short, only to either immediately return it after trying them on, or go ahead and give them a try, and regret doing so (I am not about to return used bike shorts).

Some aspects of road/gravel cycling I am willing to go super cheap (glasses, shirts), others aspects it just needs to be half-decent and functional (pretty much the entire bike), but a few I want the good stuff and I am willing to pay for it (tires, shorts).
After reading the rave reviews for more expensive kit, I purchased ASOS shorts to feel the superior comfort and fit. I was very disappointed that these expensive shorts were not nearly as comfortable as my Sponeeds from Amazon for one third of the price. Yes a sample of one does is not representative of the high end brands, but after this experience, I am skeptical there is a panacea, but rather what feels good to you.