View Single Post
Old 06-16-21, 08:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by patrickwise
You can consider Kryptonite Keeper chain bike locks. Based on my personal experience using the product, the Kryptonite Keeper looks formidable and offers many anti-theft features. The 7 mm four-sided chain links are made with 3T manganese steel, known for their high-impact strength and abrasion-resistance features. I like the heavy-duty chained covered by a thick black sleeve which protects the links from possible scratches.
We had a 12mm Kryptonite/Schlage chain in the shop and with two hits from a sledgehammer it was broken, we took an 8mm Abus chain and hit it for 20 minutes with the same sledgehammer and no damage aside from maybe a touch of scuffing. Not that it was scientific lab testing and it was just one and one but still the thinner chain outlasted a thicker chain.

The Keeper is a pretty low security chain and whenever I see one I don't think formidable. This is formidable: https://mobil.abus.com/usa/on-road/L...4KS-Black-Loop. However it weighs like 16lbs so it is not super portable but it will keep that bike secure provided you are locking to something secure. However realistically if I was doing a chain it would be the City Chain 1010 but realistically I would just do a Bordo folding lock and have something easier to carry and also quite secure.