Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
"Lawyers, doctors, bike mechanics..... One of these is not like the others."

Some docs and all mechanics use their deductive reasoning skills, knowledge of mechanics of the machine they are working on, and their hands to diagnose and fix it. Lawyers are the standout in this crowd. All three take at least 4 years of specialized training to become somewhat masterful in their field of expertise. All three have schools available to earn "degrees" or more aptly described as "certification" they can do the basics of the job. Because medicine and law are highly regulated the docs and lawyers have a lot of schooling to take on, but that schooling in no way makes them competent, just like a bike mechanic, motorcycle mechanic, carpenter or any other skilled worker.
The point is, I became an expert in law when I ordered some forms online and used their guidance to fill them out and am now my assets are protected. Why pay an average lawyer 250 bucks an hour for his service? I also became a qualified doctor when I stitched up a deep cut with thread and it is healed nicely. Why pay the doctor 300 bucks for such service when I can do it myself? In fact it usually is a PA that does the actual work.
In the same way the average Joe becomes a bike mechanic expert watching utube videos. Why pay 100 bucks and hour for his service? My hope is these examples show how silly society has become when valuing services based on school debt, perceived value, or some other thing.
I make a good living charging for professional services (we’re technology consultants).

Likewise, we value the work our lawyers and accountants do for us. And I value the work my local bike mechanic does for me when I can’t figure something out (or can’t be bothered).
Likes For WorldIRC: