Thread: Bike tire width
View Single Post
Old 06-25-21, 11:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I think it is safe to say that a wider tire is more comfortable than a narrower tire.

As far as being faster, I think there are other variables that impact speed more than just tire width.

Personally, for a lot on non-competitive riders, I think dollars spent per mile probably has a greater influence on tire selection than getting the fastest tire available.

I should add that flats per ride might have a greater influence than the optimum rolling resistance. Fixing a flat turns the fastest tire into the slowest.

Everything is a compromise.

John

I can notice a difference in speed based on the tread of the tire, but based on width is not noticeable at all. The speed differences are so negligible that I agree with you that except for racers, other considerations are generally going to be way more important. I like the way you sliced up the calculations.

I like the Conti GPs (4000 and 5000) because they are smooth (which I prefer) and durable.
Likes For livedarklions: