Old 06-30-21, 06:35 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Owen
Cat 5 story since I feel like the veterans can commiserate (if you can remember back that far). Been steadily improving and I am just trying to get some time in before requesting my Cat 4 upgrade. I started off well, placed myself out of harms way toward the front, and even took some pulls/ tested a break to see if could stick. Came across the line ~10th out of 64 starters in a bunch sprint, with two other riders, one on each side.

After the race they were taking their time with the results as I chatted with some of the others in the race. Finally gave up and went back to the car to get changed. When I returned to get a picture of the results, I wasn't listed anywhere as a finisher. I'm guessing the camera didn't pick me up between the other two riders, and during my time at the car I missed the window bring it up to the stewards.

In the long run 10th place in Cat 5 race means nothing, but I was looking forward to seeing the results of my improved efforts, but Cat 5 does Cat 5 things.
First, congrats on actually starting the race, then finishing and even "participating" and placing in the race. Great job!

On results... 15 min protest period after results are posted, to make sure results are correct.

When I started racing my friend gave me his rulebook (it was long ago) and told me to read it. I sort of skimmed through it, seemed sort of boring honestly. I gave it back to him the next day. He looked at me pointedly.

"Let me ask you some questions. What's a free lap? What is a Junior gear limit? What part of you or your bike counts when you cross the line?" He asked me a few more questions but I had no idea what he was talking about - I was super embarrassed. He gave me the rulebook again and told me to read it, and specifically told me to read certain sections. For an 8th grader he was pretty smart. And I think someone else did the same to him.

I suggest all new racers read the rulebook, particularly about the discipline they're partaking in. So for you maybe skip the track stuff, or maybe the time trial stuff, but read the mass start crit/rr stuff.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing: