gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Do people use a decaleur to push the bag forward as well as provide stability to the bag?
Originally Posted by Dfrost
Rando bags are typically sized for the frame+stem.

Seems like a raised or slightly taller stem would work with your modified rack support. Be sure that the front brake function is not compromised! Moving the bag forward might give you room, but generally the bike steering works best when the bag is close to the head tube.

Lack of a decaleur could also be a problem, since the bag won’t be solidly attached relative to steering motion. Check with @gugie for his decaleur approach. He’ll be especially thrilled that you’re doing this on a Raleigh Grand Sports.
I started making custom decaleurs for exactly this type of issue. I don't believe that bags should be sized to fit the bike (regardless of what Jan Heine thinks). Bag size should match storage need.

Stem height and length should be adjusted for your riding position, not to fit a bag.

Dave is correct, steering works best when the bag is close to the head tube, also as low as possible, but you shouldn't have to adjust your stem to make this happen. Also, unless you have a very small bag, a decaleur is highly recommended.

Email me if you're interested in a custom solution.