Old 12-12-20, 05:25 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
Hopefully this helps clear things up regarding "trail". https://www.bikeexchange.com/blog/bike-geometry-charts

"Trail can be a complicated element of a bikes geometry to explain but stay with us as we'll try to break it down. Trail is a combination of the head tube angle and the fork rake and can be thought of as the tyre contact point trailing behind the steering axis.

The short explanation is a small amount of trail equals a 'fast' handling bike, while greater trail equals a 'slow' handling bike. 'Fast' handling is good at high speeds, requiring less rider input but can be described as twitchy as it is so responsive. 'Slow' handling takes more work to steer, providing greater stability and smoother handling, but is less reactive at speed."

Race bikes have low trail numbers because they need to be nimble and agile in the turns at speed. On straights it takes more effort and concentration to maintain a straight line on a race bike with a low trail number. The rider has to constantly tell the bike where to go or else it will have a mind of its own. Endurance bikes have higher trail numbers because riders spend a lot more time going straight (generally speaking) and need the bike to be more stable at speed. There is less effort and less concentration required because the higher trail number makes the bike want to go straight at speed. Going into turns an endurance bike will be forced to slow down more than a race bike because of how the trail number influences handling (i.e. harder to turn at speed). This is an over-simplification, as there are more factors (other than trail) that will influence handling, but that's pretty much the gist of it.

I think where people get confused is when articles talk about the influence of trail on bike handling at low speeds. It's essentially the opposite of the above explanation. Unless you plan to consistently and intentionally ride your bike at very slow speeds I would look at bikes that have the appropriate trail for how you will ride at speed.
Likes For Cyclist0100: