Thread: Kick Stand
View Single Post
Old 10-13-21, 01:19 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I have kickstands on several of my bikes. But I did not put one on my road bike as I rarely leave that bike somewhere that would involve a kickstand, did not put one on my titanium bike due to concerns about possible frame damage.

My favorite stand is the Greenfield one that clamps onto the stays near the rear left side dropout. But I only use it on steel frame bikes that I am confident that there would be no frame damage.

I could have leaned my bike against one of two sign posts in the photo below, but why bother when you can park it almost anywhere?

This is probably the best photo I have that shows how it is attached to the frame.

With this type of stand, if the front wheel can roll on sloping ground, the bike can roll off of the stand. I keep an elastic on my handlebar that I can slip over the front brake lever as a parking brake. Photo below is from a different bike to show the elastic.

There is plastic wrapped around the frame under the stand. That plastic deforms over time, you need to keep the screws tight, they loosen over time. I use blue (removable) threadlocker on kickstand bolts.

That stand comes with a small rubber foot. If you put a lot of weight on the bike and park the bike on soft ground, the stand can push through the rubber foot and sink into the ground. I glue a big washer under the rubber foot to try to prevent the stand from pushing through the rubber foot. But on most tours the glue eventually gives out and the washer falls off, like here it just fell off.

But when convenient, I am not opposed to leaning the bike up against a solid building instead of using a kickstand.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: