Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
burnthesheep

My team is more lax no plans etc, just email communication, but no one talks. In all my 60+ races I've had a teammate 5-6 times, and there really wasn't any teamwork, we just kind of did our own thing. I see them on group rides, but really the team has disintegrated, and I'm the only one that races road. I don't think endurance athletes are big with social media, except insta of course.

Next season, I'm on the fence about riding solo or joining a team. Masters around here have a few teams. S2C is the only local one, but they're a giant zerg, and I'd rather not. Some races they're half the field. I'd rather race with 4-5 guys. Having never stepped on the top podium, I'm only willing to work for someone if the race doesn't fit my strengths (which here is 90% of them).
Yeah, the other issue is the road group ride I've mentioned many times is a long drive out of town for me. Then nobody stays after to chill for a bit. So I've driven 40min each way to hammer for 90min then go home.

We have folks in town also on the team but every single time I proposed adding a group ride or team ride in town, the team owner/manager guy didn't seem to like it.

Reading an autobio and hearing chatter from the UK, it seems their club/trace team scene is more social in nature than purely a convenience for executing races.

I'll stick it out through cross season then see how it goes.
Likes For burnthesheep: