View Single Post
Old 07-18-21, 02:35 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
This wouldn't even be that hard to make. Apparently the nullwinds link posted earlier has the front wheel fairing, an integrated teardrop shaped seat bag would not be that hard to make/source and that just leaves the front handlebar fairing, of which I know I've seen several plexiglass models.Add tri spoke and disc wheels and there you go.

I also think bike choice would help. Perhaps a soft ride design would eliminate turbulence from the seat post/stays and make a rear wheel fairing similar to the nullwind possible.
My own experiments, (23rd prototype at this point in time) all point to the conclusion that effective aerodynamic Fairings could be constructed within the envelope and parameters of typical bicycle baskets and/or fairings. Two ways of doing it would be either a touring bike, as we’ve been discussing in this thread, or as a cargo bike, which would open up more possibilities.
The touring bike would need a large 3rd chainring, but I believe such a touring bike could out-sprint a time-trial bike. It would limit the available pannier space, but I believe it could be done.
The main hinderance to production of a fairing/pannier System setup would be incompatibility issues with different frames, and sizes of frames. Would make a custom bike cost an astronomical fee (but isn’t that the point of a custom bike?)
I see similarities between fairings and the cargo carriers on bike share systems, and it also points to the conclusion that injection molded plastic fairings would be economical if all the bikes were identical.