Old 09-13-21, 02:32 AM
Pulse_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
The big problems I had with Vredstein latex tubes was either getting pinched during install or afterwards, so you ride 1500km and bang it goes, without anything external puncturing it.

GP5000s are great tires, though, even tubed they were ridicilously reliable.
Yes, I read some explode their latex tube while inflating but I hope it won't happen while riding which would be extremely dangerous.. To me it really depends on the installation.

A few tips I read:
-> remove the original rim tape, degrease the rim, use tubeless tape (2 layers)
-> prepare the inside of the tire with baby powder
-> the area around the valve is critical -> a multi layer of tubeless tape + circular hole is needed

What comes to my mind is to deburr the edges from the spoke holes aswell. I don't like how sharp it feels and when you put pressure with your fingers it might damage the tape.

I like to learn by trial and error rather than based on what others say so I have to try it anyways . I'm convinced preparation is key here. I'll always keep a butyl tube as a spare though, just in case.

Edit: I might use butyl tubes as a first try with the new tires after I installed the tubeless tape on the rim. It should help to put pressure on it so that the fit of the tape is adequate with the rim. Afterwards I'll remove the butyl tube, inspect everything, make the corrections if needed and just go for the latex tube. Let me know how this sounds for you.

Last edited by Pulse_; 09-13-21 at 03:25 AM.