Old 09-18-21, 10:30 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
Huh. This is all so odd to me. I'm a group ride leader and besides my own flats, I bet I've probably fixed over 100 flats of other riders over the past 25 years. It's simply not hard, though it does make a big difference to have strong thumbs. Of course one inflates the tube first, but just enough to make it round. I never use tools or talc. Too easy to pinch a tube with a tool and who has talc on the road? I always start the second bead at the valve, never ever end it there. When starting at the valve, one "stakes" the valve, that is pushes it into the tire so that the thick stuff surrounding the valve is definitely above the bead and never under it. When working your way around the wheel, popping in the second bead, push that bead toward the center of the rim. When you begin to apply pressure to that last bit of bead, drag your thumb along the tire bead, from valve to the hard part, slightly stretching the bead and probably doing that several times. Finally, just push the bead over the rim with your thumbs. All that said, some rims are easier than others, being slightly deeper in that center well. Since I've changed a lot of tires on a lot of rims, I know which rims are easier and use those.

I don't notice any difference between mounting a latex or butyl tube. It's all the same. And no, latex don't flat more easily than butyl. Might be the other way around. I noticed this thread still here, and having just mounted a latex tube in a 5000 tire on our tandem, thought I'd comment while the procedure was fresh in my mind. It was a butyl tube which flatted and flatted because the tire was worn thin in the center and got an injury there. Slow leak, didn't notice it, got to change it at home. As usual on the tandem, I mounted a 19-23 tube in a 28mm tire. Works fine and is easier. Used my last tire, have to order another pair of 5000s for the tandem.