View Single Post
Old 02-26-20, 12:18 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
EWWW!!!!

Ok, I have a hand polishing setup that I have successfully polished new, but rough cones of various brands, as well as cones with minor pits, off-brands.

I did try cutting deep pits from a Campagnolo Record/Nuovo Record bottom bracket. Man that was HARD to cut on a lathe, and I was only moderately effective while also making it narrower.

Anyway, for my hand polishing of cones, I went to the bike coop, and picked up some broken axles which I use as axle stubs.

I screw a locknut, then a backward cone on the end of the axle. And, chuck it up in a mini drill press.

I first hit it with 220 grit, then 320 or 400 grit, then 600 grit, and then wet 600 grit. Sometimes I'll wrap my sandpaper on an old round chainsaw file (the file itself didn't seem that effective).

I've successsfully polished away new surface imperfections, as well as minor pitting.

The last "rear" cone you have pictured, in a few minutes I could have a mirror finish on that similar to Record/Nuovo Record cones.

As far as the others, the first cone with moderate pitting, I might try the drill polishing. There is nothing to lose.

The second with heavy rust pitting, I'd probably toss it, unless I was in a pinch, and might try grinding it on a lathe before finishing hand polishing. One may lose some width, but should be able to cut beyond the pitting.

The question I've never answered is what kind of hardening is used. Is there surface hardening or deep hardening? It is possible I've been damaging surface case-hardening.

Also, if the Campy cones are super hard., then the polishing could be difficult.
I've been meaning to do pictures and maybe a video.