Old 06-14-21, 04:10 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
New Ultegra Di2 Noise

Update
So I think I can update now, after yesterday's ride and also today where I tested for half an hour without re-lubing, raising the pulley solved this for me. If you pay attention you can still hear something, however, I would describe this as "you can hear you have a drivetrain". Not a noise per se, certainly not bothersome or unacceptable. And in some gears you don't even hear that anymore.

Firstly, there are many threads about it ranging back years, a lot of things that work for some people (older top pulley with shallower teeth, 12s chain that is supposedly narrower seem like two that are fairly simple to try), however, I want to describe the current situation and see if anyone here has thoughts.

When I first got the bike, it was quiet. I think it started when I first cleaned it. So first question would be, can lube make that much difference? When I lube, it is quiet for maybe 20 minutes then starts to get noisy.

Second is that I have managed to get it so that certain gears are more quiet. In particular (50-34 up front btw) in the 11-32 the 11 is fairly quiet the 12 is silent, even after a five hour ride it was still silent as far as I could tell (if there was noise the wind was louder). Then though the next four cogs are pretty darn noisy. The 20 is better, it is not quiet like the 12 but compared to 13-18 it is more quiet and the sound is continuous/rhythmical, which makes it much less annoying; a continous fairly low volume rrrrrr. The 22 is similar but a bit louder and above I actually haven't tried as I synchro shift into small ring.
In the small ring 25-28-32 are noisy but like the 50-20 combo, bearable and not too loud and then 18-22 are again pretty quiet. What is going on? I am pretty sure the low limit on the RD has something to do with it. When the bike came from the shop, as I said it was silent (maybe the lube as asked above) but also the limit was not quite right in my eyes so I changed it slightly. Shifting was perfect except going into 50-11, that took a long time. I am wondering if they set it like that because they realized it affects noise? And me playing around with it, the better the shift from 50-12 to 50-11, the noisier the drivetrain is. Noise is subjective, but I am very sure this is the case.

Going back to all the threads on this, there is one person who made a comment that sounds exactly like me, they said that they can get either the top or the bottom of the cassette silent but not all of it. Does this make sense, can this be that the whole system is set up so that only certain ratios work well? Do I need to experiment til I get the bottom to work well?

Last edited by ZHVelo; 06-19-21 at 04:36 AM.