Thread: Cheap Aero Bike
View Single Post
Old 08-22-21, 12:19 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I agree with RChung---and not just because he is an engineer and a math genius who has spent a lifetime studying this stuff.

Your position on the bike is probably the biggest thing you can change, and the least expensive---all it takes is lots of suffering. A helmet is another relatively cheap option. However, if you get a really long-tailed TT helmet, every time you drop your head out of fatigue, that "aero" tail becomes an air-brake.

There are a couple different sites I have seen cited here which have lists of what "aero" gear you can get for how much cash and how much benefit you get in reduced drag .... none of it as far as I recall matters as much as staying tucked real low with your arms in and your elbows bent and tucked directly behind your hands with your forearms parallel to the earth so that you present the smallest frontal area.

All of this is possibly entirely wrong.
Likes For Maelochs: